The CERTUS technology is specially designed to bridge the digital and physical worlds – as the CERTUS credential can either be in a digital format, or printed anytime, anywhere with no possibility for tampering.
What is CERTUS?
CERTUS enables government bodies, educational institutions, licensed professionals, and other document issuers to streamline and secure the issuance of official documents and certificates.
Credentials protected by CERTUS can be quickly and easily validated by anyone to confirm the issuing authority and the authenticity of these credentials – including diplomas, health records, business licences, certificates of origin, certificates of compliance, property records, vehicle registrations, election documents, and financial and tax documents.
CERTUS comprises three components to record and protect data:
- QR code marking – a secure QR code signed by a cryptographic seal and protected with proven KSI® blockchain technology, protects the integrity of the certificate for life, as no sensitive or private data is stored centrally.
- CERTUS Document Manager – is accessed through a web app or integrated into existing systems to generate, activate, expire and revoke documents and certificates remotely. CERTUS-protected credentials can be provided to the document holder online, via email or SMS, and printed on demand – without the challenges associated with lost or damaged credentials.
- CERTUS Universal Verifier – is available for free via web and mobile apps for independent verification. Users simply scan the secure QR code and instantly receive confirmation of the date and time of issuance, name of the issuing authority, validity of the credential (ie. active, expired, revoked), and authenticity of the underlying claim based on the digital security seals. In the event of an invalid or expired credential, the verifier is alerted immediately.
CERTUS: A novel, secure solution for issuers, holders and verifiers of official documents.
The advantages of CERTUS can be summarised into the following points:
- One-click universal and independent verification;
- Works for paper and digital certificates;
- Privacy-preserving, does not store sensitive data;
- Authenticates the issuer and the protected data;
- Lifelong validity of issued certificates;
- Immediate access to a simple and cost-effective online service for managing secure certificates, no infrastructure required;
- Enables offline verification;
- Versatile solution, protects any type of data structure.
Marco Aloe, Director of Integrity Solutions at SICPA said: ‘leveraging decades of expertise in enabling trust in physical documents, SICPA is bringing its expertise to protect digital credentials with an easy and cost-effective solution that provides independent, third-party verification of documents, while protecting individual privacy.’